Circa 1801 Plat of College Lands


This file appears in: 4 Green Way
Circa 1801 Plat of College Lands

Lot 24, shown on this ca. 1801 plat, is where the 4 Green house would be built after David D. Bailey bought the lot from the College in 1817. The property sold in 1827 to Dr. John W. Schmidt, who used it as a rental property. In 1849 Abram Moise, whose uncle Abraham Moise resided nearby, purchased the house, but he lived only a few years after moving in. His widow, Louisa, sold the property to James Martin, whose first cousin, South Carolina Gov. William Aiken, owned two rental houses on the same block. Martin died while residing at 4 Green St., and his widow, Leonora, sold their home in 1863. The house was a rental property again until 1875, when Maier Trieste bought it as a residence for himself and his wife, Hannah. Hannah Trieste sold the building to the College of Charleston in 1901. Courtesy of Charleston County Register of Deeds, McCrady Plat Collection #222.


This file appears in: 4 Green Way